Saturday 14 February 2009

As promised...



...the ribbon rose tutorial!

I apologise in advance for some of the angles - I had to rope Stu into being cameraman!

Anyhoo, I know it's too late for Valentines day but they can be used on Anniversary cards, Wedding cards (How cute would it be to do a white rose!) and you can even make a few and put them on 'sticks' to make a bunch of flowers. The possibilities are endless...
Would love to see yours, if you have a go please leave a comment with a link for us all to see!

So here goes...


Start off with a length of ribbon (Mine is approx. 15 inches)


Then you need to make a right angle in the ribbon by folding it over itself.

Then take the left hand part of the ribbon and fold it over the right angle you just made.

Next, using the length from the bottom fold upwards at a right angle.

Repeat until you get a nice thickness (1 inch is good)


So your left with this. (Like when you used to make 'springs' in school)

Keeping hold of the ends, let the folds go.

Then, with both ends between your thumb and forefinger pull one end.
You need to apply a little pressure with your thumb to make sure it pulls straight.

Pull all the way until the folds joins at the top.

(You can use a peg or clip at this stage to hold the ends together)

Once the folds are all joined, you can start to work with them to make 'petals' and manoeuvre them into shape.

Your left with a lovely, very simple ribbon rose!

When I'm happy with the finished look I just very roughly tack it with a few stitches.
(And I mean roughly, I'm rubbish with a needle and thread!)

All you need to do then is conceal the ends in your project and your all done
:o)




Here's one I used on a card. It adds great dimension with very little effort!





Why not try experimenting with different types and widths of ribbon?


And the thing I love most about these little roses is that if you make a mistake or don't like the end result you can just let go and start all over again!
*Magic*

I hope that has got you wanting to try one, they really are so so easy and you can use up bits of ribbon you've got left over by making small ones.

Thank you for stopping by.
Take care
x

19 lovely people have commented :):

bumblebee creations said...

o my goodness!! this is gorgeous! Thanks for tutorial- I am definately going to try this!! I'll let you know when I have tried it! Thanks so much for sharing this awesome idea!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for a great tutorial Nicci! Lol Lynn x

AuroraDawn said...

Fabulous tutorial Nicci - will have a go later, could come in very useful as I have 3 wedding anniversary cards to make for friends :)

Adxxx

Monica Gale said...

OMG!!! Nicci this fabulous darling and sooo very clever. I am soo trying this myself , thanks a lot. M xxx

Moni said...

Waw great tutorial! Gorgeous card! Hugs, Moni

Emma said...

Wow...I'm not sure you need any inspiration from me.
What an excellent tutorial.... fantastic along with all your other work.
Emma x

rozzyb said...

Wow that is fantastic. I will have to try it. thanks for stopping by at my blog and i so pleased you liked my valentine's card xx

Unknown said...

Love this Nicci - great Tutorial and Stu did good with the picture too :-)

I am looking forward to having a goo at this

Thank you for sharing :-)

Bx

Chris said...

WOW, amazing ribbon rose Nicci, it's stunning and your tutorial makes it look so easy! Will have to have a go. Chris x

Kim Dellow said...

Oh wow that is amazing. Thank you for sharing, wonderful rose. Kim

Stephanie said...

Thanks for this excellent tutorial - that really is AMAZING! xxx

Anonymous said...

Love your blog, such an inspirational. I will give this rose a try. Thanks for sharing

Unknown said...

Excellent and very clever ribbon fold tutorial.
I would like to be allowed to feature it on the Inspirational http://inspirationalcraftblogs.blogspot.com/ blog if I may please.
Let me know
Jane x

Susan (peebsmama) said...

Great tutorial. Such a pretty flower.

DonnaMundinger said...

Oh these are gorgeous Nicci! I can't wait to try this. Fab tutorial. Thanks so much! xxD

Billie said...

OMG I can't believe I've only just found this. What a beautiful rose, you are so clever.

Will this work with any kind of ribbon. Does it need to be the papery kind (gift wrapping stuff) or silk/satin?

Superb result though and excellent tutorial.

Very Well done

Best wishes

Billie

Nicci said...

Hi Billie, I find that the silk ribbon is easiest to work with but it can been done with all other types too. Try using tie dyed or multicoloured ribbon, also gives a fab effect. So glad you like it! x

Dawn said...

Very pretty, great tutorial.

Cahos' Chaos said...

Very pretty, I will have to give it a try. Thank you for sharing.